Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Charity

I learned quite the lesson today. I was going to meet with my branch president tonight. He gave me directions to his house on Sunday, but I ended up getting lost, as I assured him I would. (I was suppose to exit the yeougi or whatever its called, on 6 but instead i did 5, careless, stupid mistake.) Well as I was walking, looking past the buildings and I saw a security guard, so I went up and asked him if there were any apartments around my area. He didn't speak English, so his co-worker came up, he also did not understand so they called someone else to help me. He called a translator and studied a map. Then they invited me into their office, gave me coffee (I know, but I couldn't explain that because of my religion.... so yes, i sipped it...), and called three different translators. There were about five guys looking at my directions, trying to help me. I sat there in amazement and how much these people wanted to help me get where I was going. Then, they figured it out, and I realized my dumb mistake.  Then one of them walked me four blocks to my correct exit to make sure I got there. I could not believe the generousity of these people and their kind hearts, it made me reflect on the way I treat others, especially strangers. It would have been so easy for those men to dismiss the ding-bat American, that they could not understand but these people tried so hard to help me, like great lengths. I felt so much love in my heart and thought about how I have never had strangers treat me this way, people that stop everything for me.

I want to be like this, there are a lot of cultural differences that take some adjusting, but Koreans generally are so kind, and I feel so blessed to experience that goodness. This place is amazing, I am so grateful for the good people I have met and for the people I will met and I hope to bring some of the goodness home with me. So grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this from Panama where I'm also touched by the kindness of some wonderful people. Glad you got there safely!

    ReplyDelete