Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Day in Korea

Well let me start with the flight. Saying goodbye to my mom and dad was very sad for me. I didnt think i would cry but I did. Then i waited for a few hours for my flight to start. There were a few americans on my flight, but mostly Koreans. The flight was about 14 hours long, wow. Also, my Ipod was not working which totally sucked. 

When I got there I waited for Mr. Park, the man who was to pick me up. He was not there at the beginning, so I just kinda hung out and then he came and found the white girl. Korea is beautiful, the country at least. It is very green, a lot of trees, which I love. 

THE DRIVERS ARE CRAZY! I have NEVER seen busses drive so fast. I am not kidding, I just about had a heart attack. My city, MokDong, is extremely crowded, and its funny because at every hour of the night there are people walking around the streets. ( i know this because I could not sleep at all). In fact, I am pretty sure I had the worst anxiety I have ever experienced. I felt totally alone, my family was so far! I went off to school at 17, but this is a totally different continent... where nobody speaks English! I cried, a lot in fact. And prayed. 
(This is me in my apt right about to go explore the streets of Mokdong, the facial expression, truly how I felt)


 The two pictures below and to the left are of my neighborhood, this is my place! Crazy. There are shops every where! I probably went to at least 20 today. Mokdong is kinda dirty. On the streets, there are allys that branch off every which way, and a lot of trash on the ground. I mean, I thought my ghetto LA was bad, but this is grosser but it kinda gives the city character, in a good way....




I start school tomorrow, and I have to get used to the public transportation which is intimidating but I will work it out.

So there, I survived my first day here in Korea. Probably the hardest day. I am so tired and I cannot wait to get to sleep. 


Family and Friends, (especially Family), I love you all so much! I am thinking about you, and you are in my prayers! 


6 comments:

  1. It looks like an exaggerated version of Monterey Park so you should feel like you're right at home...except for the fact that you can't easily find someone who speaks broken English, you’re on the other side of the earth, and you can’t drive to our house or effortlessly call us. Missionaries in foreign countries are greeted by an ever-accessible support group and are never without their companions—they’re so spoiled! We’re proud of you’re bravery and thrilled for the experiences you’ll have. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok is really does look like the ghetto!!! girl.. your turning into larry... YEAH!!! well, I just can't wait for you to eat the food... my friend that served there told me that the sushi is amazing.. I'll ask her if she knows where your city is and if she knows people.. you just need to find someone white!!! or that speaks english at least.
    I would have crazy anxiety too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I am so excited for you. After a couple of days you will begin to enjoy this experience. Thank goodness for the internet, it will keep you connected. I look forward to hearing about your adventures. Love Always, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so do you have your own place or are you rooming?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta,
    How is the food? I bet you are still eating your almonds and protein bars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TARA--you're amazing :-) i'm excited to read all about your adventures. Once in a lifetime! Good luck, you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete